Re: action-241: Propose changes regarding issue-116 (and also "general preference")

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 21:12:03 +0200
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
David,
On Tuesday 18 September 2012 09:45:17 David Singer wrote:
> > This creates a conflict with pre-existing preferences
> > (web-wide).
>
> Why?
>
> I think if you read the spec., it's clear what header gets sent.

I see your logic: web-wide (or/or) site-wide DNT:0
I wrote and erased text. The only possible conflict is when there
are explicit/explicit exception/permission pairs. As we do not allow
for that anymore, the use case is gone.

> > We
> > either need a rule to override them (1) or we need a means for
> > the  site to respect them(2).
> >

> > (1) I would suggest to follow the more than thousand year old
> > rule  that the specific trumps the general (roman rule). Means
> > a site-wide exception or DNT:1 would trump all web-wide
> > preferences. This is a very simple rule for Browsers.
>
> Exceptions trump general preference, in general.
This is another word for specific trumps general. So we have violent
agreement.

Done