Re: ACTION-253 ISSUE: 119 and ACTION 208 ISSUE-148 Response signal for "not tracking" and definition for DNT:0

On Thursday 13 September 2012 12:26:15 David Singer wrote:
> On Sep 12, 2012, at 6:58 , Ed Felten <ed@felten.com> wrote:
> > What I'm trying to get at is what statement the user is thought
> > to be making by sending DNT:0 rather than sending nothing.
> As I see it, DNT:0 means

We say DNT should represent an expression of the user's preference.

DNT:1 means "please respect the compliance document and tell me
DNT:unset means "I have no clue or I do not care or I'm not
configured yet"
DNT:0 means "I see you want to track me and that is ok" (within the
boundaries of my local law".

In the absence of all local data protection/privacy law, unset and
DNT:0 are equivalent. But if you hit a sectorial privacy law in the
US or if you want to track in the EU (above the Radar), then you
need an affirmative user expression that you can record. Whether the
TPE or the Compliance Spec will be sufficient for EU law is a thing
I had the assumption, we are working on. And as I understood Rob, we
may issue a Working Group Note that explains what we believe must be
done in addition to DNT implementation to express consent. I think
it would be good to have that in a separate document. But on the
other hand, if we tear down the foundation of the expression and
communication of consent by removing DNT:0 we can just forget about
all this and tell the EU folks to move on and forget about DNT. The
banners about cookies on UK sites are nice, aren't they? This is
what you get if DNT:0 fails.

Best,

Rigo