Re: Proposed Text for Local Law and Public Purpose

David,

I think Walter is an invited expert and offered his opinion on why
he thinks we should also take the EU system into account. I think
Walter gave a pretty accurate view on current EU feelings as I also
saw them in the hearing of the EU parliament on the new regulation.
There is much emphasis that privacy is a human right and that it
should not under all circumstances be trumped by commercial
considerations. I think you should read his statement like a report
rather than an opinion.

And his EU comments are important for me as I think that global
considerations are important. I think we are much closer to
usefulness of DNT in Europe than many believe. And this is a big
thing if you consider the current UK solution that is not as nice.
So killing the European solution for an alleged impossibility to
comply with MRC raises heat that we should take out again.

Note further that IMHO he is not threatening in any way. I was at
the OECD this week and last week. There are discussions about
transborder data flow and how to achieve that. Many OECD countries
have appropriate protections in place and now urge to create a level
playing field to avoid a race to the bottom. And there are serious
voices questioning the transborder data flow to countries not having
the right protection level. Again, this is rather a report. I do not
have the intention to say: "see you should do this or that". And I
see DNT as an opportunity. Because it can't be mandated by W3C
anyway it can only be an opportunity and never a threat. The threat
is elsewhere.

Apart from that I concur to Kimon. Measures are done anonymously and
this is part of the innovation challenge. Then outreach is out of
the way. This is why I talked about "transition". In the sixties we
had nice cars, but consumption was 7mpg. Now we still have nice cars
and consumption is 60mpg and they are even faster. Better outreach
measures with less personal data. We can talk about how far we get
with Version 1 if there is a will to innovate. But just saying: "DNT
will not change my business" would misunderstand the commitments and
the unease in the market and between the regulators.

Rigo