ACTION-260: Update debugging text (add normative 'short term', 'diagnostic', expand on or replace "graduated response")

From: Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 00:35:18 -0700
To: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
From discussing the debugging permitted use on a September call, there were several suggestions for updated text. An updated proposal is below:

> Operators MAY retain data related to a communication in a third-party context to use for identifying and repairing bugs in functionality. As described in the general requirements [reference to Minimization section], for this permitted use services MAY collect  and retain data from DNT:1 users ONLY when reasonably necessary to identify and repair errors in functionality; in some cases, graduated responses (for example, collecting more data after report of a bug) may be feasible. This permitted use is intended for short-term diagnosis and repair of third-party Web functionality, not to cover broad quality assurance measurements.

I've elaborated graduated response as just one relevant example of data minimization, rather than a separate requirement, and made the short-term diagnostic distinction part of the normative text, as suggested (by Roy, and perhaps others, on that call).

(Also present in HTML at: http://npdoty.name/w3c/middle-way#debugging )

Thanks,
Nick