Re: Third-Party Web Tracking: Policy and Technology Paper outlining harms of tracking

On 10/11/12 8:44 PM, Alan Chapell wrote:
> Hi Walter - Thanks for forwarding. This paper was published in 2002,
> correct?

That is correct.

To put things in perspective, I don't think anyone in the working group
will argue that there is less data collection going on than was the case
in 2002. Neither do I expect anyone on the list to argue that the
typical user has more transparancy and control over this data collection
either. So if anything, the paper's conclusions are probably more valid
than they were in 2002.

Moreover, I do not necessarily agree with the premises of this paper,
since from my perspective privacy is a fundamental human right, just
like freedom of expression and bodily integrity, that is non-negotiable.
It is industry that should provide that there is a pressing social need
that outweighs this fundamental right.

It is more that I want to have a genuine conversation about the issues
and for that I hope it is helpful to frame it in a business perspective
every once in a while. I think it is rather telling that even a purely
utilitarian approach tells us that in the end it is just not in the
interest of business to build business models on essentially stalking
people. Because that is not an ethical or sustainable practice.

Regards,

 Walter