Re: Are we trying to build a compliance system on poorly-defined core concepts?

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 9:26 AM, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Bryan and W3C Staff,
>
> How do you take a perspective like this and turn this into an actionable item within the Working Group?  Open an issue?  Curious to understand how to handle something like this procedurally.

Re actionable suggestions:

1) Update "3.1 User" definition to better reflect the broader meaning:
"A user is an individual human. When user-agent software accesses
online resources, whether or not the user who invoked the action
understands or has specific knowledge of a particular request, that
request is made "by" the user."

Explanation: "who invoked the action" makes it clearer that the user
is distinct from the device/user-agent, that multiple users may
invoked actions via a user agent, and that we need to consider the
goals of Tracking Protection in that context.

2) Text related to (1) in the TPE, focusing on how TPE works in
multiuser/shared devices.

3) Update "3.2 User Agent": "This specification uses the term user
agent to refer to any of the various client programs capable of
initiating HTTP requests, including but not limited to browsers,
spiders (web-based robots), command-line tools, native applications,
mobile apps, and intermediaries such as proxies acting on the user's
behalf [HTTP11]."

4) The concern over the weaknesses in the TCS are more intractable
IMO, and I will think about what to propose next.