tracking-ISSUE-173: The TPE uses "top-level domain" in a sense that is not the normal meaning [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2012 15:03:23 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org
tracking-ISSUE-173: The TPE uses "top-level domain" in a sense that is not the normal meaning [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/173

Raised by: David Singer
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

[as raised by Thomas Roessler] "top-level domain" has a technical meaning (the last part of a hostname, .com, .org etc.).  We mean the hostname of the top-level browsing context (as defined by HTML), and I suggest the term "top-level origin" (with the meaning given, and with thanks to Adrian for the pointer)