Re: ACTION-255: Work on financial reporting text as alternative to legal requirements

From: Mike Zaneis <mike@iab.net>
Date: Mon, 1 Oct 2012 22:53:44 +0000
To: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
CC: David Wainberg <david@networkadvertising.org>, Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>, Alan Chapell <achapell@chapellassociates.com>, "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>, "Dobbs, Brooks" <Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com>
Rigo,

I still fail to see how advocating for industry change is the appropriate W3C staff position in this process.

At a minimum, you should be aware of the actual industry innovation in this space. Here is a progress report from the DAA - http://www.aboutads.info/blog/digital-advertising-alliance-seeks-protect-consumer-choice-and-diversified-internet.

And the CBBB issued a set of enforcement actions today that you will want to review since it is the only mandatory, enforceable program in the US - http://adage.com/article/digital/industry-group-cites-kia-disclosing-behavioral-ads/237513/?_source=daily_email&utm_medium=newsletter&utm_campaign=adage.

Mike Zaneis
SVP & General Counsel, IAB
(202) 253-1466