Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:16:39 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>, "rob@blaeu.com" <rob@blaeu.com>
Shane,

On Sunday 18 November 2012 21:07:11 Shane Wiley wrote:
> This would be forcing a de-facto opt-in standard across the
> Internet.

the "opt-word" is not helpful here in any way. The server can always
return nothing in which case the browser can not assume his DNT
signal worked.

I want to avoid the situation of the bork-browser, where the server
discriminates against a certain browser only and where there are
browser counter-measures and the creation of a conflict finally
endangering interoperability. The way out is clearly signaling. As
for shades and prompts, you can't really prevent that as a service.
A browser is free to react in many ways to DNT status reports.

I will respond to Rob in separate email.