From: Rob van Eijk [mailto:rob@blaeu.com]
Sent: Sunday, November 18, 2012 12:12 PM
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Subject: Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

I am also still at the position that there is no consensus on server side rejection of DNT signals coming from e.g. IE10. A rejection on the server seriously breaks the (semi-automatic) granular dialog between the user and a site. It also endangers interoperability. In addition to this, it also carves out credibility, because the server can still claim to be DNT compliant and shift the burden of proof to the user. If a server is rejecting a DNT signal, than that organization IMHO has to make clear and specific representations to the user. If it would be up to me: in real time with a clear banner or window shade.

Rob