Re: ACTION-212: Draft text on how user agents must obtain consent to turn on a DNT signal

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 18:47:26 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: "Dobbs, Brooks" <Brooks.Dobbs@kbmg.com>, David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Brooks,

On Friday 16 November 2012 14:14:10 Dobbs, Brooks wrote:
> You actually raise an interesting point.  What I think is being suggested is
> that where the election of DNT:1 is offered in a UA that a user is informed
> about what that means.  You make the seemingly logical retort that where
> the election of DNT:0 is offered (on a site) that a user is informed about
> what it means prior to making that election.

You're right and this is on my radar since day one. One of the goals of the
global considerations work is to define DNT:0 to give the required permissions
to do OBA and personalization in the European context. So we have to define it
anyway. And yes, I'm behind on sending out the initial email that starts the
discussion because I'm a bit swamped with non-DNT issues.

I actually do not believe that the browser-explanation text will help. I would
rather like us to pool resources to have explanatory text in
http://www.webplatform.org/ Browsers can link there and not make their UI too
barock or take blame for optimistic promises