Re: tracking-ISSUE-148: What does DNT:0 mean? [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

From: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:12:19 -0700
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>

On May 30, 2012, at 17:03 , Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> On May 30, 2012, at 4:54 PM, David Singer wrote:
>> I think it means something like "I am aware of DNT but I am choosing not to send you a DNT (DNT:1) request", whereas absence of a DNT header might mean I am unaware of DNT or choose not to send any DNT header at all.
>
> Such a message would have no value, for anyone.  Presumably, we have
> a user granted exceptions mechanism in order to do something useful
> once the exception is granted.  If we can't say what that bit of
> usefulness is, then we don't need an exception mechanism and the
> spec gets a whole lot simpler.

It means something, if only by contrast that it's not DNT:1.  Other people may be getting DNT:1;  you're not. From a behavioral point of view, you can behave as if you got not DNT header at all, except I would like to find confirmation that you saw my DNT:0 (so I can tell if you claim to have seen a DNT:0 when I don't think I sent it).

What I am saying is that I think trying to read more into what you are permitted to do, than if no DNT was sent, is a tar-pit.

David Singer