Re: tracking-ISSUE-148: What does DNT:0 mean? [Tracking Definitions and Compliance]

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@gbiv.com>
Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 17:03:22 -0700
Cc: Tracking Protection Working Group <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: David Singer <singer@apple.com>
On May 30, 2012, at 4:54 PM, David Singer wrote:
> I think it means something like "I am aware of DNT but I am choosing not to send you a DNT (DNT:1) request", whereas absence of a DNT header might mean I am unaware of DNT or choose not to send any DNT header at all.

Such a message would have no value, for anyone.  Presumably, we have
a user granted exceptions mechanism in order to do something useful
once the exception is granted.  If we can't say what that bit of
usefulness is, then we don't need an exception mechanism and the
spec gets a whole lot simpler.

....Roy