Re: Actions 183 and 176 (which seem to be the same)

On May 16, 2012, at 8:30 , Nicholas Doty wrote:

> I think the proposal from Shane on a method to request a Web-wide exception [0] is an alternate to a single method that handles both site-specific and web-wide exceptions. I suspect that having a separate methods will make this clearer.
>
> I still think we can conclude that third-parties shouldn't call these methods: the publisher is asking for a site-specific exception for their trackers and the Web-wide exception is only requested when that tracker is a first party (although potentially in an iframe), right?

Can you work it through a bit?  I phrased what I wrote in terms of matching top-level domain.  How does the browser know whether someone is, in fact, a first or third party (that's defined as a user perception question), hence, how does it enforce any kind of restriction on who can call the API?

It might be imprudent for a third-party to call the API ("NefariousAds.com is asking for permission to track you over the entire Internet") but I can't see any way to enforce a restriction.

If we have two APIs, then one would say roughly

"I claim to be a 1st party and I would like an exception for these sites (or all) when embedded on me".  But how does the browser determine the "when embedded on me"?  Matching the top-level browsing context does not do it.

And the second says

"I claim to be a 1st party and I would like a web-wide exception for this specific third-party I have."  OK, this is easier: if granted, this domain always gets DNT:0.  Except we have no way to verify the claim "I am a 1st party".

> [...]
>>> These actions ask that the API be clarified such that a Javascript executing
>>>
>>> requestSiteSpecificTrackingException( <DOMstrings>, <callback>, [<sitename>], [< explanationString>], [<detailURI>] )
>>>
>>> be clarified that it is permitted that third parties as well as first parties can make this request.
>>>
>>> However, this is not as simple as it looks.  This API asks for an exception for the site-pairs (using the notation first-party/third-party):
>>>
>>> script-origin/DOMstring
>>> script-origin/DOMstring
>>>
>>> i.e. the first half of the pair is implied by the script-origin and assumed to be the 1st party.
>>>
>>> If a third-party were to call it, it would have to take the form
>>>
>>> DOMstring/script-origin
>>>
>>> I could certainly write that text, but this presumes that both the sites and the user-agents can reliably determine which sites have first-party status, and which have third-party status.  Unfortunately, all the definitions currently use 'judgment calls' (e.g. knowing which sites the user has knowingly and meaningfully interacted with).
>>>
>>> However, this assumption underlies the checking of the accumulated database;  do I send DNT:0 or DNT:1 to a host?  Well, gather the 1st party:
>>> * if the host is equal to the 1st party, send the appropriate signal
>>> * otherwise, form the pair 1st-party/host-domain and see whether it matches one entry in the database
>>>  -- if it does, send DNT:0, else send DNT:1
>>>
>>> Since we currently have this assumption, I suggest we add the following to 6.4.2 of the TPE spec.
>>>
>>> * * * *
>>>
>>> The execution of this API and the use of the resulting permission (if granted) use two 'implicit' parameters: when the API is called, the domain of the origin of the script (script-origin), and the domain of the top-level browsing context (tld-domain).
>>>
>>> When the API is called, if script-origin is equal to tld-domain, and permission is granted, then the set of tuples
>>>
>>> script-origin/DOMstring (once per DOMstring)
>>>
>>> is added to the database of remembered permissions.  Otherwise the single tuple
>>>
>>> DOMstring/script-origin
>>>
>>> is added to the database.  In this case, there must be only one DOMstring.
>>>
>>> While the browser is about to send an HTTP request to a host (whose domain is host-domain) while DNT is active and enabled, then if the tuple
>>> tld-domain/host-domain
>>> matches any tuple in the database, a DNT:0 header is sent, otherwise a DNT:1 header is sent.
>>>
>>> This enables
>>> * first parties to ask for site-wide permission (DOMstring="*") or specific permissions (otherwise)
>>> * third parties to ask for a web-wide permission (DOMstring="*") or specific permission (otherwise)

>>> I am sure I am missing something.  and this text necessarily covers more ground than the actions, let the discussion commence!!
>>>
>>> David Singer
>>> Multimedia and Software Standards, Apple Inc.

David Singer