tracking-ISSUE-144: User-granted Exceptions: Constraints on user agent behavior while granting and for future requests? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

From: Tracking Protection Working Group Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 21:32:58 +0000
To: public-tracking@w3.org
tracking-ISSUE-144: User-granted Exceptions: Constraints on user agent behavior while granting and for future requests? [Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)]

http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/track/issues/144

Raised by: Matthias Schunter
On product: Tracking Preference Expression (DNT)

During today's call (2012-05-02) we raised the question how exceptions affect future user agent behavior.

QUESTION 1: For granting site-wide, explicit, or web-wide exceptions: What kind of UI requirements do we want to impose?

- Would it be OK if the UI for site-wide and explicit would be identical?
- Would it be OK if the answer will be generated without user interaction (e.g., the user prefers DNT;1 and therefore no exception is granted - ever)
- Would it be OK if the answer is generated from a user-approved policy (e.g., say yes unless a tracker is on my blacklist)?

QUESTION 2: Once a site-wide, explicit, or web-wide exception has been granted, do we mandate how this affects future behavior (e.g., sending DNT;0 or DNT;1)?

E.g.,
- Once a third party has an exception, the agent MUST send DNT;0
- Can a user agent refine the exception (e.g., granting a site-wide exception and nevertheless say 'DNT;1' to some blacklisted third parties)?
- Can a user agent accept exceptions and then continue sending "DNT;1" everywhere?
-