Re: explicit-explicit exception pairs

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 02 May 2012 17:09:36 +0200
To: Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
Cc: ifette@google.com, Nicholas Doty <npdoty@w3.org>, public-tracking@w3.org
On Monday 30 April 2012 13:55:44 Jonathan Mayer wrote:
>  If a website learns the browser doesn't support its preferred exception
> type, it can fall back to a different exception type or an out-of-band
> exception.

This mainly says: You can either agree on */* or try some out-of-band-
undefined-legalese-click-wrap. I don't like the latter as it reads like an
affidavit of (technical) means to me. IMHO this is harmful to the consent
mechanism, especially as we don't know what * is. Would you write a blank
check like this? (and yes, provider P can have subprovider S who can have
subprovider X, but site A still knows it uses provider P and declare it and
being responsible for using P)

This is about forcing bundles or not forcing bundles. I can understand that
(and why) some people are not really happy with unbundling and raisin
picking. But we risk to not align well with the data self-determination
paradigm if the bundle is too obviously tied to a certain goal. In this
case, there is a general take-it or leave-it. This fits some preferences
well but not others. How can we accommodate both?  I said by allowing
granularity and accumulation of the variety into a bundle, but that the
bundle isn't created at Specification-writing time, but at site-definition
time.