Re: Article: Yahoo! Launches Global Support for Do Not Track (Yahoo! Policy Blog)

From: John Simpson <john@consumerwatchdog.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 11:50:17 -0700
Cc: "public-tracking@w3.org (public-tracking@w3.org)" <public-tracking@w3.org>
To: Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
Shane,

An important step. Congratulations.  As I understand your post,  Yahoo! is announcing that you will support DNT when the header is sent from a browser.  Is that right?

Sone of the press coverage seems a little confused. Like this Washington Post piece saying that Yahoo! will implement a "Do Not Track tool":

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/yahoo-announces-do-not-track-tool/2012/03/29/gIQAuoQyiS_story.html

You saying that you'll honor DNT on all your properties, right?  Not that there will be a DNT "button" or mechanism on your sites, right?

Again, important step forward.  Congratulations.

John

On Mar 29, 2012, at 7:20 AM, Shane Wiley wrote:

> http://www.ypolicyblog.com/policyblog/2012/03/29/yahoo-launches-global-support-for-do-not-track/
>
> Before you ask, Yahoo! is deeply committed to the W3C process  Im not going anywhere J  but I could only comment on currently known DNT structures in todays announcement.
>
> - Shane

John M. Simpson
Consumer Advocate
Consumer Watchdog