Are blanked exceptions usable in the EU? [ISSUE-129]

From: Matthias Schunter <mts-std@schunter.org>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2012 18:32:47 +0200
To: Ninja Marnau <ULD66@datenschutzzentrum.de>, Shane Wiley <wileys@yahoo-inc.com>
CC: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>
Hi Ninja/Shane,

during our last call, you disagreed whether it is OK (=considered
sufficient consent) from an EU legal perspective that an individual
accepts an exception for "any" third party used on a given site.

While I understood there is no problem to agree to a defined list
"thirdparty1, thirdparty2, ...", there seems to be a problem if this
list is undefined.

A second question is whether an OK to 'any' is OK if the user can then
later learn what parties where actually in use.

How about either agreeing offline or else starting this discussion on
the list?

FYI: From a technical perspective, it is OK to include a function that
would not be usable in the EU, however, in this case some guidance for
sites may be helpful anyway.

Regards,

Matthias