Fraud Prevention (ISSUE-24)

(renaming for the issue tracker)

Ian,

I think you may have misunderstood.

I *would* allow a company to retain passively collected information (i.e. protocol logs) for some period so as to detect and prevent fraud.  Here's the language from the Internet-Draft:

> The following activities are excepted:
> . . .
> Protocol logs used solely for advertising fraud detection, and
> subject to a one month retention period.

I *would not* allow a company to actively collect information (i.e. set/log a unique ID cookie) unless it has good reason, based on passively collected information, to believe a browser is engaged in fraudulent behavior.  (For the law wonks in the group - there would be something like a "reasonable suspicion" requirement before you can Terry stop a browser.)

If you did grok my viewpoint, and you're suggesting that a tiered-response approach to fraud prevention isn't workable, then I'd ***very strongly*** urge you to check in with Google ad fraud folks.  Out of respect for the sensitive nature of information in this space, I won't say more than that on the list.

Jonathan