Re: [ISSUE-5] What is the definition of tracking?

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:55:03 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>, Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>
On Wednesday 07 March 2012 12:16:50 Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> Given that the protocol is "Do Not Track", this issue has more
> substance then the entire rest of the compliance document.

Roy,

the "Do Not Track" protocol has as much importance for consent making in a
market of 480 Million people. So "tracking" is not the only thing we pursue,
despite the name.

I already said, I like your definition. It's balance is proven by the fact
that you get fire from all sides. I agree with Jonathan that we are close if
we can figure out the "collection" part. I think by including the usual
chatter into your definition, you complicate things. I think we all agree that
"tracking" is beyond the collections done for basic http interaction and
security. It takes you one sentence to exclude that.