Re: [ISSUE-5] What is the definition of tracking?

From: Rigo Wenning <rigo@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Mar 2012 08:57:28 +0100
To: public-tracking@w3.org
Cc: Kevin Smith <kevsmith@adobe.com>, Jonathan Mayer <jmayer@stanford.edu>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@gbiv.com>
Kevin,

On Wednesday 07 March 2012 10:17:15 Kevin Smith wrote:
> I have a request.  To me, 'collection' is synonymous to 'retention' and I
> automatically translate the 1st into the latter.  From a lot of responses
> over the last few months (not necessarily on this thread), I think many
> others have a hard time separating these two terms as well.  However,
> usually when Jonathon uses the term 'collection' he is not referring to
> 'retention', but rather the actual request that goes over the wire, and I
> quickly get confused.  Jonathon, any chance you can use a different word
> (transmission perhaps) to refer to the request?

IMHO, this is a vital distinction to preserve DNT's ability to gain global
acceptance. Nearly all data protection regimes that I know of distinguish
between collection and retention.

That doesn't mean that all collection is harmful. It just means that many
people distinguish. I also called for it in an earlier email.