Re: Today's call: summary on user agent compliance

Rigo, I didn't mean to suggest it had to be a literal popup. It could be
any sort of mechanism (infobar, flashing lights, whatever). The point is
that if it's to be acceptable to the companies representing the third
parties likely to be requesting exceptions, it will have to be rather
prominent. And if it's rather prominent, then the browser vendors will be
incentivized to reduce the number of times it shows up in an unwanted sense
("it's annoying").

Unless you're suggesting that the browser decide based on heuristics of
when it thinks the user is likely to click "yes" based on the user's past
history, and either answers for them (seems like it would violate "express
consent") or just doesn't answer at all (doesn't give third parties equal
footing and would greatly disincentivize them from participating in DNT).

I'm not saying there's _nothing_ we can do here, but it does seem that the
likely outcome is that it's not quite so simple :)