consent

Tamir,

On Wednesday 06 June 2012 10:03:53 Tamir Israel wrote:
> I understood the objective of the spec is to 'express user
> preferences'  (this is not the same as consent, I get the
> impression we are conflating the two).

I changed the subject line, because this is a different topic. To
help with the implementation of Art. 5.3 of the ePrivacy Directive,
we intend DNT to be recognized as an expression of consent in the
sense of 5.3. Rob has already issued requirements for that.

The second question, mainly addressed by Jonathan is the question,
whether a user agent can set defaults on DNT without asking the
user. Some argue that this would not be an expression of will and
thus the DNT signal received would be void. I personally e.g. do not
agree with this opinion.

For the regulated environments, the question is rather under which
conditions the user will send a DNT;0 as the legal default in Europe
is already similar to DNT;1 without any kind of signals on the wire
needed.

So while we use the same signals, the effects on the environment of
DNT;0 and DNT;1 are radically different in regulated and unregulated
environments. If you receive a DNT;0, you don't need implicit
consent anymore, you have explicit consent for tracking. That's at
least the plan. There are still some hurdles, also because there is
fear that there are collateral effects of a working consent
expression system on the (only) unregulated market (left) that is
subject to heated discussion here.

Rigo