Re: cross-site tracking and what it means

On 1/19/12 2:30 AM, Rigo Wenning wrote:
> Now what about visitorID 101 and visitorID 102 being associated with the same
> IP address? If you collect/keep that data, I agree with David, that there is
> an easy correlation possible within the walls of the analytics/advertisement
> provider. In this case, the question is how can you be seen to not do the
> correlation? IMHO, the devil is in the detail of legal and technical means of
> siloing. And the options range from "nothing changes, we just renamed the
> issue" to "really really good privacy and hard to implement requirements".

Rigo,

I don't think this is a problem we can fully solve with DNT, unless we
define DNT to mean no 3rd parties at all, and I don't think that will
fly. I think I agree that it comes down to guidelines for siloing,
though I worry about being too prescriptive. The IP address for user
tracking is an important issue, but is only relevant to DNT generically,
as it fits into the notion of tracking. It is not a problem we can
address specifically with DNT.

-David