Re: cross-site tracking and what it means

Kevin,

nice and useful example.

On Wednesday 18 January 2012 22:15:17 Kevin Smith wrote:
> Example
> * A person visits Site A and Site B with DNT turned ON.
> * Both Site A and Site B call out to Example3rdParty.com.
> * When the person visits Site A, Example3rdParty.com assigns them a
> visitorID of 101.  All profile data that is collected on Site A for this
> visitor is attached to visitorID 101. * When the person visits site B,
> Example3rdParty.com assigns them a visitorID of 102 and all data it
> collects on that site is only associated with visitorID 102. *
> Example3rdParty.com does not know that visitorID 102 is the same person as
> visitorID 101 (at least not on server-side) and so cannot aggregate the
> data at a later time.

Now what about visitorID 101 and visitorID 102 being associated with the same
IP address? If you collect/keep that data, I agree with David, that there is
an easy correlation possible within the walls of the analytics/advertisement
provider. In this case, the question is how can you be seen to not do the
correlation? IMHO, the devil is in the detail of legal and technical means of
siloing. And the options range from "nothing changes, we just renamed the
issue" to "really really good privacy and hard to implement requirements".

Rigo