From: Nicholas Doty [mailto:npdoty@w3.org]
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 2:53 PM
To: Kathy Joe; Deliyannis, Alexandros
Cc: public-tracking@w3.org Group WG
Subject: Re: Issue 25: Possible exemption for research purposes covered
by conditions for outsourcing and issue 34: Exemption for aggregated
data

On Feb 6, 2012, at 8:49 AM, Kathy Joe wrote:

	Opt back in for panel members who have DNT - see 4.3.1: how
should a tracking reference interact with user over-rides of the
tracking compliance, Issue 27: How should the "opt-back in"mechanism be
designed?

is a contractual agreement with the user (ie users have a pre-existing
agreement to be tracked)

	Panel Members are individual users that have expressed the
desire to be part of a research study and/or group as part of a
behavioral tracking research program which would need to over-ride the
DNT standard. We introduce this to distinguish it from a site-specific
exemption which may represent a desire/preference whereas a panel member
relationship represents a contractual obligation with the research
organization that may cover different domains.

Could we design our opt-back-in mechanism so that research doesn't
override the DNT preference but rather members of research panels
register an exception with their user agent and specifically opt in to
tracking by the researcher? (This might be a reason to standardize on an
interface to request Web-wide exceptions.)

For example, a research panel member might want to turn off even the
panel tracking briefly while researching a medical condition; turning on
DNT in that situation seems like a good recommendation for the user.

-Nick