An alternative to site-specific user granted exceptions (Issue-111)

From: TOUBIANA, VINCENT (VINCENT) <Vincent.Toubiana@alcatel-lucent.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2012 20:03:49 +0200
To: "public-tracking@w3.org" <public-tracking@w3.org>

I suggest an alternative to site-specific exceptions (Issue-111). Instead of providing the list of 3rd parties through the JavaScript API, this list could be provided through Tracking Status Representation (available through the well-known URI).
There is already a field to send that list to the UA (See section 5.1.2 in TPE document) but it is currently optional. If we replace the MAY by a MUST, then users could get the list of third parties present on a site before they visit it and then decide if they are ready to grant a site-wide exception.

Pros:
-	User grant exceptions knowing which third parties could track them
-	This does not broke the chain in ad-exchanges
-	Publisher do not have to ask new user granted exceptions when they add third parties
Cons:
-	Users have to check the well known URI more often
-	Users can not provide feedback about the third parties present on a website (a non granted exception is  in my opinion-- an explicit feedback).

I still prefer the site-specific exception mechanism as it gives users more choices, but I believe this solution could be seen as a middle ground.

Vincent