Re: ACTION-152 - Write up logged-in-means-out-of-band-consent

JC,

On Wednesday 28 March 2012 15:30:20 JC Cannon wrote:
> I'm more inclined to agree with Shane here. I always want to vote on the
> side of greater flexibility for the consumer.

unfortunately, our agreement from 3 weeks ago is gone.

I think what David Singer and I are saying is that if some spurious "out of
band agreement", for whatever that means, trumps the DNT header totally and
without distinction, then we are mainly back to blocking tools, private mode,
cookie deletion etc as the only meaningful defense.

Shane's text does not define "out of band agreement" This can mean whatever,
especially in a common law context. You've sent me a get request earlier. By
sending, you agreed to our general conditions that contain a tracking
agreement in clause 143.

I gave a use case in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-tracking/2012Mar/0052.html

Shane's text simply ignores that attacking scenario. I find this a bit weak. I
found your idea good I can understand that Shane doesn't want to implement yet
another distinction. I am convinced that we must address this scenario to
prevent a higher degree of blocking tools. If any weak "out-of-band" kills the
efficiency of DNT, than DNT itself gets too weak. I don't think even Shane
wants that to happen.

One possibility is to define "logged-in" in a much more narrow way. E.g. there
is a lot of parallel to location based services here. And there, the Directive
2002/58EC requires that the terminal MUST show if the location system is
active. Being logged in is something similar here, I think..

Best,

Rigo