Re: Comments on tracking-compliance.html

On Oct 25, 2011, at 7:06 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

>   http://www.w3.org/2011/tracking-protection/drafts/tracking-compliance.html
> The term "consumer" is widely regarded as offensive and derogatory

No, it isn't.  There is a broken link on wikipedia to some blog by someone
who apparently once thought it to be offensive, but that hardly counts as
"widely regarded".  I don't use it in the TPE spec, since user is the more
technical term, but in trade regulations the term generally used is consumer,
and it makes perfect sense to think of web sites as producers.
It isn't the least bit offensive or derogatory in this context.

If we want to be consistent, though, "user" is a better term.

> I hope this draft is moved to some publically exposed version control
> system soon.

It is on a version control system now (cvs).  I think you can request
access from the W3C team.  The WG published versions will be in the dated
space (with links to previous versions).

....Roy