Re: Action 32 -- Proposed language for site-specific exception

One advantage of a tech-specific requirement (placing an opt-in cookie) would be the relative simplicity for users to clear all of their tracking opt-ins — just clear your cookies. If some sites use fingerprinting and other sites use localStorage and yet others use cookies to store a user's opt-back-in status, then a user would have to manually manage on a site-by-site basis if they decided they wanted to opt-out again.

We might be able to address this concern with some variation of the Tracking response header / well-known location such that user agents could detect when a user is being tracked because of an opt-back-in and give the user a pointer on how to clear it. This is also an advantage of the user-agent-managed list of site-specific exceptions: the user agent could make it easy for users to see and modify the list of site-specific exceptions.

Thanks,
Nick