Re: User intended interactions [1st & 3rd Parties]

From: Aleecia M. McDonald <aleecia@aleecia.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 00:24:16 -0800
To: Tracking Protection Working Group WG <public-tracking@w3.org>
It sounds like we are getting tantalizingly close to consensus on the major issues around first parties.

For the compliance specification in particular, I think we are writing for a variety of audiences. I hope we can produce text that is clear enough to policy makers, privacy NGOs, and programmers with a wide range of technical knowledge.

One of the things I think is important is to capture some of the discussion as to why we make certain decisions, and the use cases in this thread are great examples. We may not need all of them in the final document but I want to make sure we do not lose the context. A fairly familiar format might be something like:
	Overview / explanatory text
	Specification text
	Examples and use cases

I am thinking of the overview as something like comments in source code, or like dicta: the non-binding reasoning that conveys intent. The specification sections need to be clear to implement and test. The examples illustrate how the overview and specification come together in practice. Other ideas very much welcome -- I hope to get reactions to this approach, particularly from editors.

	Aleecia