Re: ISSUE 17: Data use by 1st Party

On Nov 1, 2011, at 6:28 , David Wainberg wrote:

>> Optional Addition #2:  3rd parties SHOULD ignore user activity/information passed to them from a 1st party if they recognize a DNT signal from the user.
>>
> This may be redundant with the 3rd Party's honoring DNT. The problem that remains, though, is how the 1st will communicate to the 3rd that the data being passed is covered under an appropriate exemption.

Basically, I wanted to close the door "well, *I* didn't get this data by tracking the user, the 1st party *told* me!", and make it clear that if you are not supposed to be tracking, the data (if any) passed by the 1st party is not OK to use.  I agree it's redundant, but putting the statement here makes it clear to everyone it's redundant.

David Singer