Re: [webvtt] Spec editing

On 24/09/2015 10:02, "Philip Jägenstedt" <philipj@opera.com> wrote:

>On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 10:39 AM, Nigel Megitt <nigel.megitt@bbc.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> On 24/09/2015 00:06, "singer@apple.com on behalf of David Singer"
>> <singer@apple.com> wrote:
>>
>>>I’m fine with
>>>* moving to more modern pub tools (Echidna)
>>>* using Github issues rather than Bugzilla (even though I find github
>>>issues/bug/conversations much harder to follow)
>>>* moving to github and away from e.g. CVS
>>>
>>>It does seem…odd…to be in the whatwg part of github and not the general
>>>W3C part.  Not sure I follow this.
>>
>> +1. It's confusing and unhelpful.
>
>I am no longer one of the editors, but I definitely support hosting
>WebVTT at the WHATWG. Both because of saner infrastructure (the
>dev.w3.org/html5/webvtt/ setup involved PhantomJS and CVS on my
>private VPS)

A github/w3c infrastructure would be fine also, right?

> and because the text track model which WebVTT extends is
>part of HTML, maintained by the WHATWG.

Irrelevant in my opinion. There are many HTML extensions managed by a
variety of groups. If WHATWG thinks they need to control/manage/maintain
every extension to HTML then they will be a bottleneck. Better to target
specific work in specific groups, like this one.

Nigel