Re: What is the use case for two levels of background colors?

If the concern is that the cue box might be sized too small, why would a
max width setting not solve this? If we put the cue in a bounded region,
wouldn't we end up with the same problem again, unless we again specify a
max width?

After reading this, I am not sure if we may not be overthinking things
here. In general terms, here are the use cases that I see:

1. for non-positioned captions, leave the width at auto, and text align at
centered by default. That should allow the background to grow, and the text
to wrap as much or as little as needed.

2. for most positioned captions, you do not need to set a fixed bounding
box, either, as long as the text anchor is centered on the person. You
expand to the left and right, until you *on one side* hit the edge of the
safe area (which is 95% of the video area). Then you wrap. Doing so would
preserve the symmetry of the positioning to the left and right.

3. for the more rare case of simultaneous positioned cues, you do need to
set left and right of the bounding box. If this, in conjunction with a
suitable anchor, were specified as max width, rather than absolute width,
it still would give the cue room to grow and expand if the font is too
small to run into the width setting.

One thing that I do see as important is that the choice of having a uniform
rectangular background around the screen real estate that the caption
currently uses (and no more) should be a user-overridable setting, and it
must work even if the author didn't set a background area (as in cases #1
and #2). That's what one of the FCC rules we discussed earlier really is
about, and implementing that behavior would, in my view, satisfy the spirit
of it. I believe that this is also what iOS 7 does.

I have to confess that I have never seen the use case that Nigel mentioned
- to leave an empty background on-screen. Nor I am sure that the people I
know would care about this situation. The authoring standards that they
prefer state that for extended portions of silence, you should provide a
"[no audio]" caption.

Christian