Re: What is the use case for two levels of background colors?

There is a commonly used style [reference needed] in which a background
box is displayed all the time, and captions displayed within it when they
need to. I'm not exactly sure why this is considered desirable - I guess
it gives a visual clue that captions are enabled and prevents potential
distraction caused by the background box appearing and disappearing.

Regardless of the merits of this approach, I understand it is in common
usage and the technical solution would require a region with a painted
background whose display timing is independent of the display timing of
text presented within it.

On 09/05/2014 21:09, "David Singer" <singer@apple.com> wrote:

>I am not sure that they are useful together, but don¹t they have
>different visual effects?
>
>The background for a region causes a stable rectangular area to be
>painted in that color, no mater what text (if any) is inside it.
>
>the background for text is only drawn around the actual characters.
>
>the first has the advantage of visual stability, while the second
>minimizes the amount of the scene obscured.
>
>On May 9, 2014, at 7:07 , Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Does anyone know the use case for having two levels of background
>> colors, specifically one background color on the individual lines of
>> text and another on the region/window?
>>
>> The only thing I can think of is that it could make the text more
>> readable for some people. However, if that is the real use case I
>> think relying on regions for it is unacceptable, because the author
>> may not have used regions at all. A robust solution would require the
>> user agent always add that extra layer behind all cues.
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Philip
>>

>David Singer
>Manager, Software Standards, Apple Inc.