Re: Unifying the rendering approach

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 2:54 PM, Silvia Pfeiffer
<silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:47 PM, Philip Jägenstedt <philipj@opera.com> wrote:
>> On Sat, May 3, 2014 at 3:25 AM, Silvia Pfeiffer
>> <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I am prepared to change the rendering section / algorithm completely.
>>>
>>> But I am not prepared to change the Syntax any more. It's been too
>>> long in the making.
>>>
>>> That's really the core of my position. And it's not about CEA608, but
>>> about CEA708.
>>> For 608 I agree that we wouldn't need regions at all.
>>
>> Then it seems we are at an impasse. I am not interested in maintaining
>> regions as currently specified, and even less interested in big
>> changes to the rendering algorithm, unless they bring regions and
>> non-regions closer together in some meaningful way.
>
> Yes, the latter was exactly the plan: bring the rendering of regions
> and non-regions closer together. And I was under the impression that
> we made progress on that.

There's been a lot of brainstorming in this thread and I'm not sure
which ideas are still on the table:

 * Using an anonymous region for the entire video viewport
 * Using regions for absolute positioning

Are there others? Which of them would you like to move forward with?

Philip