Re: Absolute region positioning (was Re: Alternative approach to scrolling, with demos)

Just quickly jumping in from the standpoint of someone who depends on
captions for accessing videos: I think there is some leeway in what can be
considered identical to TV captions - the big needs are positioning for
speaker identification, positioning to avoid obscuring important portions
of the image, colors, fonts, etc. The operative word in the FCC rules is
actually that the Internet captions have to be at least of equal quality as
on TV, but it is perfectly fine if some improvement in WebVTT actually
results in better-than-TV captioning. So, I'd not try to look at
pixel-perfect identity, but rather at intent.

I have not been following this discussion very closely, because of
end-of-the-semester craziness, and so I am not fully up to speed, but what
strikes me about this thread is the same concern that Silvia just
expressed: that we may be over-engineering. I understand that this
discussion came about because we want to unify the rendering paths, but
that the proposed approach may have some ramifications for rendering
CEA608/708 cues?

I wonder if it would be helpful to work through the problem cases that are
driving this discussion and look at them with a fresh eye, to determine if
they are really a problem per se, or if these are things that no end user
will care about.

I'll also add that one thing I do care about are semantics. I.e., if a
particular scrolling area or caption color identifies a particular speaker,
an author should be able to make that kind of association in the WebVTT
file, and it should not be merely an artifact of the rendering.

Best wishes
Christian

--
Christian Vogler, PhD