Re: a second message on transitions, from your Chair

>> David, I would
>> hope we would also be ensuring that SMPTE-TT would also be "convertible"
>> within the same mapping effort.

SMPTE-TT is a profile of W3C TTML (https://www.smpte.org/sites/default/files/st2052-1-2010.pdf). One of its main uses is to allow the "tunneling" of broadcast TV closed captions (CEA 608) as binary data, base64-encoded in the TTML, a sort of compatibility or translation mode.

Is the intent either to allow others (like SMPTE) to profile VTT (in the same way that SMPTE profiled TTML), or to define this kind of compatibility mode in VTT?

Regards,

JohnK