Re: Question regarding semantics of "text position"

Hi Rohit,

Sorry about the late reply. Just found this email again.

On 26 Aug 2013 04:01, "Rohit Puri" <rpuri@netflix.com> wrote:

> I am new to WebVTT and trying to go through the Draft Community Group
Specification (dated 23 August 2013) for WebVTT. This can be found at:

> https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/text-tracks/raw-file/default/webvtt/webvtt.html
>
> i am not sure if this is the correct forum for this but thought i would
ask the following question that pertains to the semantics of "text
position".

Assuming you have horizontal text, text position gives you a way to move
the cue box around within the line. Noire that the spec changes a bit
recently so you may need to re-read it.

> Essentially, i noticed the following statement in the document in Section
3.1/"A writing direction":

> A. "If the writing direction is horizontal, then line position
percentages are
> relative to the height of the video, and text position and size
percentages are
> relative to the width of the video."
>
> A little bit further down in the same section/"A text position", i
noticed the following:

> B. "A number giving the position of the text within the cue box. If the
cue is
> not within a region, the value is to be interpreted as a percentage of the
> box's size, otherwise as a percentage of the region width."

Right. This has changed. The rendering section that you may be reading
hasn't been updated yet, so stick with the syntax.

> Going through (A) and (B), it appears that the interpretation of text
position percentage is different between the above two statements when size
is not equal to 100% (assuming regions are not used)

No the two statement don't contradict each other. (A) only tells you in
which direction the text position is to be read in the case of vertical or
horizontal text. (B) explains how the text position value is to be
interpreted. (B) has changed recently to be more natural.

Hope that helps for now.

Silvia.