Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

Comments inline:

On Dec 11, 2012 7:34 PM, "Ian Hickson" <ian@hixie.ch> wrote:

> > when the live programming requirements kick in. (Section 203 doesn't
> > kick in until 2014, so there's some time left for web browsers, though.)
>
> Wait, what are these new requirements we're now talking about?

At present only prerecorded TV shows on the internet need to be captioned.
Live programming is exempt until March 30 next year.

> The requirements in the CFR suggests it has to be explicitly marked up.
> (Admittedly, the requirements are _incredibly_ vague, so I don't know if
> that's what was intended. As a whole, I'm rather disappointed my tax
> dollars are being spent on such work. These regulations are terrible. They
> totally misunderstand how the Web works, they have entirely inappropriate
> requirements, etc.)

Now,  this is projecting. Can you do us a favor and assume for a second
that the people involved with this knew what they are doing?  The deaf and
hoh know their use cases,  and there were people with a strong technical
background involved as well (including deaf people with a strong tech
background). The rules aren't vague. If they seem vague, it might make
sense to talk to legal counsel about it to clarify. But dismissing the
needs of the consumers who had to fight very hard for access to captioning
on the internet is a bit insulting.

Christian