Re: Support for advanced caption features (inc rollup)

On Tue, 11 Dec 2012, Christian Vogler wrote:

> It's because these features have different priorities. Live TV
> programming is a big, big use case for the deaf and hard of hearing
> communities, and one that will become relevant on March 30 next year,
> when the live programming requirements kick in. (Section 203 doesn't
> kick in until 2014, so there's some time left for web browsers, though.)

Wait, what are these new requirements we're now talking about?

> Character edge attributes don't have the same kind of priority.
>
> Also, re simple language and easy read: that is easily covered by a
> separate track, isn't it? No need to do anything special in WebVTT for
> this.

The requirements in the CFR suggests it has to be explicitly marked up.
(Admittedly, the requirements are _incredibly_ vague, so I don't know if
that's what was intended. As a whole, I'm rather disappointed my tax
dollars are being spent on such work. These regulations are terrible. They
totally misunderstand how the Web works, they have entirely inappropriate
requirements, etc.)