Re: Suggestion for structure of TestTWF events

On 18 Apr 2014, at 08:52, Daniel Davis <ddavis@w3.org> wrote:

> As a helper at TestTWF events, a lot of time is spent repeating what
> speakers have talked about because participants have forgotten. Some of
> this seems to be because there are many talks back-to-back.
>
> The current TestTWF structure is mostly:
> 1. Introductory talks and howtos
> 2. Participant preparation
> 3. Test writing
>
> During the talks, participants hear a lot of info that they try to
> retain. By the time they're ready to start, perhaps the next morning,
> they've forgotten a lot of it. It then takes considerable individual
> hand-holding to get everyone ready to code.
>
> What about a format that covers the same content and preparation but in
> smaller chunks? E.g.:
> 1. Git basics
> 2. Help participants setup git
> 3. Repository basics
> 4. Help participants setup testing repository (including python, whatever)
> 5. Test basics
> 6. Help participants run existing tests
> 7. Test writing

The format is set in stone in any way. Think it might have been dictated in parts by the disposition of the rooms in previous locations (e.g. in Paris where we had an auditorium for talks on the Friday evening and 3-4 small rooms on the saturday where groups split up to hack). Homogenous audiences might also be a better fit for the step by step approach described above. Anyway, experimenting is good. Sharing the outcome here is even better. :)

Best,

--tobie