Re: [testtwf-shenzhen] Need your input: Writing Webapps tests at TestTWF

On 9/6/13 7:48 AM, "Ms2ger" <ms2ger@gmail.com> wrote:

>On 09/06/2013 03:54 PM, Arthur Barstow wrote:
>> * File API - this spec should soon enter Last Call Working Draft. It has
>> some submissions
>>
>><http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/master/FileAPI/tests/submissions/
>>>
>> (PRs #53 and #54), at least six PRs from TTWF-Shanghai and PubStatus
>> says it is "~20% complete". KrisK is the spec's Test Facilitator so it
>> would be good to get his input re the priority tasks and plans for this
>> test suite. For example, it's not clear if the existing coverage is
>> reasonably good, where are the holes, etc.
>
>I don't know if anyone has a good idea of what coverage we have right
>now, and what the outstanding PRs will add, so I suspect that writing
>new tests right now is more likely to duplicate effort than to add
>useful coverage. If someone wanted to spend the time to figure that out,
>I think that would be more useful.

Can each of the Test Facilitators provide a coverage assessment for their
specs?  Any volunteers? The coverage tool [1] would be useful here as a
starting point. Tobie has report hosted somewhere on w3.org, but I'm
pretty sure the JSON data behind it is static and needs to be refreshed.
Tobie, if you have anything to say here, chime in. Like maybe should be
host the coverage reports on testthewebforward.org now?

Beyond the coverage statistics, some human analysis is also probably in
order. The specs most likely to become part of TestTWF will be the ones
that have the most documented and actionable work to do. And of course,
people to support the activities at the event, so please come! :)

>> * DOM (4/Core) - Aryeh is the Test Facilitator and Ms2ger has been
>> active. PubStatus says this test suite is "50% complete" [I don't recall
>> the provenance of that number ;-)]. Aryeh, Ms2ger - what is the status
>> of this test suite? If there are some testing gaps you think the TTWF
>> people should address, please let us know the details.
>
>Tests for the Range API are rather thorough (even too thorough for
>Mozilla's automation). Other areas are spotty, and it shouldn't be too
>hard to find parts that aren't tested yet.
>
>I also remember writing up a number of things that needed testing for
>the last testtwf event; I think those were all ignored, and still need
>to be done.

They weren't ignored, it was just that the request came in too late for us
to plan for it. In fact, not being able to accommodate your request then
is precisely why we're changing our approach now by reaching out to the
WGs with a 2 month lead time. So thanks for exposing that flaw in our
planning process! :) With each successive event, we try to improve things
based the feedback we get from all of you as well as from attendees. We
are always open to ideas & suggestions, but want to emphasize that these
events and what goes in them are driven by the community. As organizers,
we can help facilitate, recruit, and promote, but we rely on the
leadership of WG members to run successful programs.

If the list you provided prior to the Tokyo event is still accurate, that
seems like a great starting point for Shenzhen. Maybe there are others on
this thread who can help help lead something up?

[1] https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/tree/master/tools/coverage