Re: [testtwf-shenzhen] Need your input: Writing Webapps tests at TestTWF

On 9/6/13 6:54 AM, "Arthur Barstow" <art.barstow@nokia.com> wrote:

>On 9/5/13 9:37 PM, ext Rebecca Hauck wrote:
>> Hi Webapps-testers,
>>
>> We're kicking off the planning for the next Test the Web Forward
>> event, which will be part of TPAC this year, held on Saturday,
>> November 9 at the same conference center, the Wuzhou Guest House. As
>> we develop the program, we're trying something different and reaching
>> out to all of the people in the working groups who have an active
>> interest and knowledge of the test suites.  We've created a mailing
>> list for these discussions: public-testtwf-planning@w3.org
>> <mailto:public-testtwf-planning@w3.org>.  If you respond to this
>> thread, feel free to drop the ­testsuite list from the To: line to if
>> you'd like to transfer conversations to the new planning list.
>>
>> We'd love your input!
>>
>>   * Which Webapps specs need the most love right now?
>>

>Hi Rebecca, All - thanks very much for your e-mail!

Thanks for jumping in with all of these pointers and for rallying the
Webapps troops! :)

>As to your question, it depends on what you mean by `love` in this
>context ;-).

Well the obvious part is of the question is what needs tests, but since
the ultimate goal for all of us is to advance the specs, your input about
the review bottlenecks is valuable. More on this below.

>As one can see from scanning the Testing column of WebApps' status page
><http://www.w3.org/2008/webapps/wiki/PubStatus>, there are many many
>testing related `opportunities`. I think the following specs/tasks are
>the `higher` priorities ...
>
>* WebIDL - we need someone to Review Cameron's tests
><http://w3c-test.org/web-platform-tests/submissions/271/WebIDL/tests/submi
>ssions/heycam/>
>(aka <https://github.com/w3c/web-platform-tests/pull/271>).
>
>The lack of an approved test suite is one reason WebIDL is blocked from
>advancing to Proposed Recommendation and the lack of a PR is blocking
>other specs that have a normative reference for WebIDL. If test case
>review isn't within TTF's scope, that's unfortunate (albeit
>understandable) but if TTWF can help here (even if only some subset of
>tests are reviewed), we would greatly appreciate it.

Test review is certainly in scope for new tests written at the events,
which is why we enlist experts to be there (and for the last few, some
kind people in this WG have shown up in IRC). We haven't (yet) formed a
program around reviewing existing tests, though it's becoming more and
more clear that this is really where the need is moreso than new tests in
many cases. As you might imagine though, it wouldn't be realistic to
expect newcomers to jump into that. However, if a group people in from the
Webapps WG want to come and organize a test-reviewing project among
themselves, that would be great, as long as some of them were available to
new test authors for support and review of their tests during the event.
I'll wait to see what/who else emerges here. As I mentioned in my original
note, we'll do our best to help incorporate these suggestions, but can't
make any promises. It really depends on who steps up to lead the way.

BTW, Art, are you planning on being there?