Re: Hosting the test suite

On 04/09/13 17:30, Robin Berjon wrote:
> On 04/09/2013 16:17 , James Graham wrote:
>> On 04/09/13 15:14, Robin Berjon wrote:
>>>    • Of course, that requires that we have different subdomains for each
>>> variant. This could be:
>>>
>>>        - www.$domain redirects to $domain
>>>        - $domain is a simple page of docs, with pointers to all the
>>> relevant info
>>>        - master.$domain is the master branch
>>>        - cr.$domain is the CR branch
>>>        - subNNN.$domain is there for each submission
>>>
>>> Thoughts?
>>
>> I don't think that works, because we need subdomains for cross-origin
>> testing.
>
> I know that, but why does it not work? We can still have them. It's a
> matter of picking a convention and applying it.

I guess you are right as long as there is nothing that depends on the
specific domain. And if there is it will likely be a problem for people
running this is automation scenarios. So we probably have to fix tests
like that anyway.

> Something I thought of but forgot: I reckon that it could be a really
> good idea to serve the suite using your Python server.

It's probably necessary if the plan is to move away from PHP so that
tests can be run under automation more easily. But I wouldn't describe
the server as "production quality" yet, so you might want to hold fire
on that until I have worked on it more :)

In general, it seems that there are two co-dependent changes that need
to be deployed simultaneously; the server needs to be switched and the
tests need to be converted to use the new server.