Re: Hosting the test suite

On 04/09/2013 19:03 , James Graham wrote:
> On 04/09/13 17:30, Robin Berjon wrote:
>> I know that, but why does it not work? We can still have them. It's a
>> matter of picking a convention and applying it.
>
> I guess you are right as long as there is nothing that depends on the
> specific domain. And if there is it will likely be a problem for people
> running this is automation scenarios. So we probably have to fix tests
> like that anyway.

That's what I thought. There are some hairy bits that we would
nevertheless need to figure out in order for the aforementioned
conventions to work, but it can all be handled.

>> Something I thought of but forgot: I reckon that it could be a really
>> good idea to serve the suite using your Python server.
>
> It's probably necessary if the plan is to move away from PHP so that
> tests can be run under automation more easily. But I wouldn't describe
> the server as "production quality" yet, so you might want to hold fire
> on that until I have worked on it more :)

Well, one of the best ways I can think of to make it production quality
is to start running it in production :-D

> In general, it seems that there are two co-dependent changes that need
> to be deployed simultaneously; the server needs to be switched and the
> tests need to be converted to use the new server.

Yes. That looks like a job for a parallel branch, no?

Anyone else have some thoughts on this? If not I'll start talking with
the friendly elves from the systeam.