Re: Automatic test results reporting

On 08/10/2011 10:33 AM, Francois Daoust wrote:
> Hi Philippe,
>
> I've added an automatic test results reporting feature to the framework,
> see:
> http://w3c-test.org/framework/suite/nav-timing-default/
>
> The page presents a "Report test results automatically (when possible)"
> checkbox, enabled by default. When activated, pressing "start" will run
> the test suite, jumping for test case to test case and saving the result
> reported by "testharness.js".
>
> That's a bit ugly from a pure visual point of view as the browser jumps
> from page to page as soon as it gets the result of the test, but we can
> improve that later on, I think.
>
> Note automatic results reporting gets automatically deactivated when the
> user chooses to report for a user-agent that is not the user-agent on
> which it runs the tests.

Auto-submitting information to a third-party is an incredibly bad
default. I skimmed this email, didn't quite appreciate what the feature
did and was quite surprised when the harness said it had reported the
results to the W3C. Happily I didn't run it on some secret internal
build that happened to have new features covered by the tests, but I
could have done.

When the test finishes I would expect it to a) present the results to
the user and maybe b) *ask* if the user would like to submit those
results to be displayed in public.