Re: Permissions UI & Necessary API

From: Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 11:33:03 -0400
To: "Sysapps@w3.org" <public-sysapps@w3.org>, Kostiainen, Anssi <anssi.kostiainen@intel.com>
Cc: "reeder_29@yahoo.com" <reeder_29@yahoo.com>, gkeeley@mozilla.com

On May 15, 2014 at 11:16:46 AM, Kostiainen, Anssi (anssi.kostiainen@intel.com) wrote:
> > > Like I said previously, I think the only way to know is to work
> through some example cases with real code. Doing thought experiments
> can only get us so far. We would also need to find a few more example
> cases in the wild and then we can take those to the appropriate
> WGs.
>
> I actually already asked Nikhil in the GH issue from where this
> idea originated from whether he has been doing further exploration
> in code. If someone comes up with other experiments, please let
> us know.

I'd be inclined to prototype having an attribute in Gecko. The `requestPermission()` method seems redundant to me because interfaces already implicitly or explicitly have these methods (yes, they are inconsistent across the various APIs - but in the case of Geolocation the permission request is explicitly bound to an action - watchPosition(), getCurrentPosition(), and I think that is a "good thing"[tm]).

Some other APIs - specially new ones - would likely benefit from `requestPermission()` tho, but I'm still not sure if existing APIs would.

--
Marcos Caceres