Re: W3C workshop on web apps and marketplaces?

In regards to trust-

I do not think the concept of trusted web applications deviates away from
the "one web" vision in any way. There are plenty of existing frameworks
that can operate as a model for how the additional requirement for "trust"
can be satisfied that are currently active and standardized.

I deduce that the term trust, in the context of this thread, is analogous
to the common implementation of SSL. It is an added value to be able to
assert a higher level of assurance during interactions between parties that
never have and never will mutually authenticate each other's identity in
person. Something as simple as an embedded code signing element could add a
needed integrity check to validate that the code has not been altered since
it was published. In addition, an identity assertion from the developer
and/or the "web app vendor" (for lack of a better term) would reduce the
risk of compromised code being accepted as genuine by an end-user.

If the "vendor" has a certification and accreditation process, then they
too could add a signed element to assert that said code was compliant and
in accordance with their specified standards.

The implementation of controls as stated above are an absolute necessity
regardless if the scope of the current topic is to include it or not.

V/r,

Brian Thompson

--
Brian Thompson, CISSP