Re: W3C workshop on web apps and marketplaces?

On 16 Jan 2014, at 14:00, Charles McCathie Nevile <chaals@yandex-team.ru> wrote:

>>> What do you think?  Should W3C be seeking to put a spotlight on web apps and web-based OSes?
>>
>> Having a workshop — assuming we do not revisit the problems we have tried to solve multiple times before without great success -- sounds like a good idea.
>
> I don't mind revisiting things - that's how we learn.

Yes, I tried to say we should not revisit the same problems without new input to the process, IOW do the same thing over and over again and expect different results.

That said, I’m confident that with the right participants and scope we are able to make progress, especially if the same problems are shared with many products that are widely deployed.

To take an example, Dom’s analysis of permissions handling in modern browsers is new input, describes a concrete problem, which I believe browser vendors have acknowledged and have interest in solving. Also, that is a problem that I assume can be solved in a reasonable time, or at least the situation can be improved significantly.

> I would be appalled to see W3C simply start up Yet Another Group For APIs without a very strong push to recognise what has gone before. (To cite history, when sysapps proposed an app: URI spec that was a simple copy/paste of the widget: URI spec without acknowledging that history I think it made a grave mistake on several levels).
>
> There is obviously continuing interest in this area, so thinking about how to harness it towards developing standards, rather than the current mess of fragmentation, would be a useful thing to do if we can get support from those who are pushing forward the current different flavours of the same thing.

Agreed. Good candidates for further standards work are often evolutionary improvements that solve real-world problems that exist on the platform today, without disconnect to the current technology stack.

Thanks,

-Anssi